Thursday, June 28, 2012

My 21st Birthday Part I

I wasn't exactly looking forward to my 21st birthday this year. I was away from my bestest friends from school, my best friend from home was going to be out of town and my good friend, Eric was also away. It was looking to be a boys get together with me tagging along...for my birthday. At least that's what I had in mind. So a week before my birthday on father's day, my family decided that we would go see the new Pixar movie, Brave to celebrate the next Friday. I mean if I can't have my friends, seeing a children's movie with my family on my 21st birthday is the next best thing right? But really, I was pretty excited for it. I don't get to just hangout with family too often let alone get them all to watch a movie based on a red-headed Scottish princess.

So on Friday after work, Ryan and I made our way to my house and just relaxed for a bit and then started getting ready for the night. I was just finishing my makeup when I heard a knock on my front door. I was expecting my dad who I thought was picking us up. It was two of my best friends, Danica and Maggie from school surprising me, confetti and all! It was amazing. I felt dumbfounded and it was so surreal. I'd never experienced anything like it. My friends are pretty smart and mischevious so they obviously parked far down my street on another side street so I would have no chance at knowing they were at the door. So the three of us walked to the car, it was the sunniest of days and I felt like I was in a indie film, okay maybe just a straight up movie but either way it just all felt so magical.

Everything was going swimmingly, my mom came home with my favourite foods to serve to my friends (sushi and nacho dip) and then we were going to be on our way downtown for a fun night. I was so looking forward to introducing my friends from school to my friends from home and showing them my hometown (as much as I could in just over 12 hours). My dad started getting a little ancy and wanted to drive us already. But I got a text from my friend Mark saying he was in my neighbourhood and wanted to stop by to say happy birthday, he would be 15 minutes he said. This was looking to be a great night! So we waited, and snacked and caught up when I heard the doorbell again. I casually walked to the door and my two friends jumped up "wanting to meet Mark" they said. As I opening the door I felt my jaw drop to the floor. Tears were welling up in my eyes. I felt numb. It was another best friend, Dominique who had just spent the last 5 months abroad in Ghana.

We sat and all chatted and quickly headed downtown (dad really wanted to get us out early, I can only assume so that he could pick us up early too). I had a great night, saw some old friends, new friends, best friends. It was by far the best birthday I have ever had...and it technically wasn't even the actual day yet!

On the morning of my birthday, I woke up surrounded by friends. We chatted while picking away at some fruit for breakfast, said some goodbyes to Dominique. We discussed religion, the origin of life, the existence of God, importance of Jesus, perfect birthday topics for me. Seriously, I love deep conversation. While my two other friends and I were finally starting our morning and getting ready to start to head our separate ways, I found another surprise in store.



The doorbell in the video was ANOTHER surprise. Flowers from my friend Kristina who wasn't able to make it down for the big day but was amazing none the less. How blessed am I with all these people in my life? I must also mentioned that they managed to plan this all with some help from Ryan (who also swiftly cleaned up ALL the confetti thrown at me in the first surprise). I am beyond grateful to everyone who made this birthday one I intend to never, ever forget! Love you all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a great bday.
    Love you too Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. deep chats in the morning were sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teared up. So glad you had such an awesome birthday. Love you to bits Dee

    ReplyDelete