Tuesday, September 20, 2011

University Tip #2

Tip #2 - Make Friends that Matter

For many of you, you will be coming into University, College, whatever it may be usually alone and that means you will need to recreate and rebuild your "social network" or support system or whatever you feel like calling it. This was the case for me. I came to University with three other students from my high school class, all of whom were acquaintances but not close friends. I had been away from home on my own before but this was real, this was for at least 8 months for at least 4 years. I needed people, what can I say, I'm a people person and I love to talk (and listen).....I'm just loud.

Now I don't need to tell you how to make friends, hopefully you learnt that in kindergarten through high school and if you don't know how to do that then this may be a struggle for you. But that's okay! You can do it! But it's more than that, this is more than just "making a friend" this is meaningful and deep stuff here. Meaningful friends are more than mere acquaintances, they are real, caring, understanding and funny people. They are patient and always there. They don't get annoyed, well they do, but they tell you and you get over it. Meaningful friends are the ones you can count on in stressful times, to study with, to cry with, to have an outrageous time with, to go to the gym with, to tell you you're being ridiculous. These types of friends are crucial and probably hard to find.

I lucked out in my first year. I met the most amazing people, the most amazingly honest, fun and trusting people. Get that? PEOPLE! Not just one! I never had these types of relationships before, the type where no one's scared to let you know that you're being too obnoxious and loud and that you should be studying. Or that you're worried over absolutely nothing. These are the types of relationships and friendships you MUST make during your stay at University. They change your life and make you a better person, well at least I hope so. These types of things may be hard to come by but it's worth it, I promise.





No comments:

Post a Comment