Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Vegetarian Round 2

So about three weeks ago I wrote about how I really was keen on becoming a veg head again this summer. So for the past two days everything was going grand and my first two days of vegetarianism were going splendidly. But then today just was out of control. A group at work was having a potluck lunch and of course I attended even though I had literally no need to do so, especially with my salad in my lunch bag. So there was nacho dip with meat in it. OUCH. Then I had to go out with Ryan tonight to watch the Stanley Cup final (UGH BOSTON, gross). We eventually headed to Boston Pizza where you can really only order pizza (which all have meat) or hamburgers. So we got a pizza with sausage on it....and here I am back to square one.

All I'm asking is for some tips! How did you get yourself on track to being a vegetarian? What tips and tricks did you use? I need some advice!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Found you on 20sb. :)

    I've been a vegetarian my whole life (crazy, I know, but I'll explain it some other time...long story short, I just don't like meat).
    That being said, I don't really have tips on how to resist temptation of eating meat, but I can offer up some advice on things to distract you from eating meat.

    Using the example of the pizza place, I normally order something along the lines of breadsticks or cheesesticks (to help fill me up) and a nice big salad. Or, if the pizza place doesn't do salad, they might be willing to make you a small personal cheese pizza. :)

    Anyway, I know this comment is getting lengthy, so I'll cut it off here, but I'd like to talk more about this with you another time!
    Good luck on your veggie journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not just stop trying???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not just stop trying???

    Sorry from your Carnivore Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years, and a vegan for about a year and a half now. I only really had a difficult time going vegan, but the same rules apply...it's hard ot think of tips though. It can be really hard in the beginning, in situations like the potluck. I generally always carry lara bars (they're snack bars that I really like) in my bag with me and a piece of fruit or something, so that when these things come up I have something yummy to snack on and enjoy the social situation and avoid the food. Eventually I became more used to the fact that I didn't want to eat those things, and just adjusted. It can also help to have more vegetarian friends, the feeling of being a part of a community can make you feel more normal. Feeling like the oddball at the party all the time can be a real downer. There are vegetarian meet up groups in lots of areas that get together for dinners at veg restaurants, do you have any around you? Try google searching for veg groups around your area. If not, try joining some vegetarian groups online! That's actually how I met my husband, haha.

    I hope this helps some!

    ReplyDelete